Friday, March 7, 2008

General Electivity

"It sounds like a young, fun company," I explained to Mike. "That guy said they're all under 26." I'd been getting some e-mails about a potential job, and was explaining it to Mike as his put his shoes on. He was supposed to have left for work over ten minutes ago.

"Sounds like the company I'd rather be working for about now," he grumbled. As the weather brightens, I can feel his corporate nine-to-five getting to him.

"You probably will be if you don't get your ass out the door!" I shouted. We laughed, and he hopped up from the chair to grab his wallet and keys. He knows, he knows.

We kissed at the door. Kiss. Kiss. "GO," I whine, pushing him out the door. He sasses me, and I make a face and shut the door. He rings our doorbell, knowing I hate how loud it is and knowing it is two inches from my ears.

"Mike!" I yell through the door, smacking the speaker on my side to quiet it. I can hear him laughing as his runs down the stairs. I hop onto our couch to watch him go to his car. He has a big goofy grin on his face.

I can't believe I get to play with my best friend all the time, the Michael Colletto I knew I could stay best friends with the moment I met him. Even when he is a little punk butt....

"This is ridiculous," I groaned. Last night, I was starting a Spanish worksheet while Mike put a few glasses away i the cabinet behind me. "I don't know any of these words! He hasn't taught us any of this yet!"

Mike leaned over my shoulder a bit, saying "Oh, that's the word for 'clueless' and that's the word for 'haha.'"

I jerked around in my chair to glare at him.

"What is wrong with you?" I yelled, laughing mostly at of shock at his cruelty. He had this strange, subtle smile on his face, like he couldn't believe the things that come out of his mouth. We both started laughing. "You are so mean to me," I mumbled, jerking around in my chair towards the homework.

He started talking about, hey, wouldn't have be a funny way to test your students on vocabulary while I stared blankly at the worksheet. The fact that I'm about to graduate and am even DOING a worksheet is driving me mad. He softened the pain with a cranberry vodka, and that's why I love him.

A little later, Mike sits down to finally copy down some recipes for a cookbook we're putting together for his best friend that is getting married next weekend. I ask if it would be more fun to have a "Friends" episode playing in the background, and he agrees. Twenty-two minutes later, he has "Salmon Teriyaki" written down.

We're living and learning out here in West Chester. We might be doing it the hard way, but it's the fun way, that's for sure.

2 comments:

Andrew said...

Heather- you really do...you remind me of my sister. I'm so surprised I didn't see it before. (Not a bad thing by the way).

Both fairly recently married. Both strong-willed. Both in love. Both tenacious. Both love laughter. Both good with words.

Anyway- just had to say that. Be good. Don't do drugs. Say hello to the Michael for me.

-Andrew T

Unknown said...

heaaaaather i wish we lived close. we need married friends! it would be so fun to be able to hang out with you and mike: oh! it would! so many little things you write about remind me of brandon and me. the playfulness, the youngness, the me doing homework and brandon going to work! hahaha. love you