Take, for example, the Philly cheesesteak. I had my first real Philly cheesesteak with my brother, Jamin, in south Philly, right before we made rocket necklaces and I bought a Cherry Hill little league shirt from a thirt store--I still wear both of these things to this day. And I would still take a cheesesteak with Jamin over many, many other things. Unfortunately, you can get a 'Philly cheesesteak' anywhere in America, and it is not a good thing.
So, what I'm getting at here is this: it goes without saying that this corner gyro stand in the middle of Thessaloniki, Greece was about a real as it gets, and it was glorious. Mom and Patty, that was just one of those things you had to have a Coke with, and I did!
Oh, and while the Greeks have no laws about traffic, etc. they do have Gyro laws, so don't mess. You have to saw the meat onto the gyro in full view to make sure it's all real meat. And, let me tell you, that hunk of something is all real meat. And it was good.
1 comment:
Great memories. I always loved taking you out! Will send pics of my rocket necklace. (and the pieces of the 1st cheesesteak you had that I kept)
Jamin
Post a Comment