If my life were a movie, the scene would go like this:
I lie in the silent darkness of our bedroom, wrapped tightly in Mike's arms. I can feel his chest breathing in and out. I start to fall asleep, peaceful and content.
"I feel so safe in your arms," I say, soft and sweet.
But my life is reality, so the scene plays out like this:
"But, really," says Mike, just as soft and sweet, "you're just trapped beneath my dead body weight."
I sit up quickly. "Mike!"
"What? It's true!"
"You're ridiculous," and I yank on the covers and roll away from him, smiling, despite myself.
If my life were a movie, the scene would go like this:
Mike is picking some things up in our room, and when he comes across something lacy, he smiles. Feeling pretty good about myself, then, I say, "Whose is that?"
He smiles at me. "My wife's."
"Yeah?" I'm playing it up.
But my life is reality, so the scene plays out like this:
"Yeah," he says, matching my sexiest tone. "See? You can tell--right here. There's a little piece of plastic from where she ripped the price tag off!"
I think I literally stuck my tongue out at him like a seven-year old.
The best part of everything is that, even after just six months of marriage, I didn't expect any different, because I knew I was marrying that snarky boy I met in Ohio that was too honest for his own good and just honest enough to make me grow up.
No comments:
Post a Comment