Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Part-Time Lover, Full-Time Friend

I fall asleep at night as his little sister: "Are you asleep yet?  Are you asleep now?  Can you fall asleep when I poke your eye like this?  Are you asleep yet?"

I drift awake in the middle of the night as his worst enemy: These are my covers.  That bastard took my covers again.  Look at him, all peacefully asleep and content with life because he has my covers.  Why, that little---

I wake up in the morning as his lover, kissing his shoulder lazily while he gives a sweet smile, still asleep.

I wake him up in the morning as his best friend: "Wake up!"  I hop on the bed, shake him, try to seduce him out of bed with promises of cereal and coffee, and pull on his ankles until he's grasping across the bed to my pillow just to have something dark to burrow his furrowed face away into.  "I am a sleepy one," he protests.

When people wake up in the morning not liking who is next to them, I fear they've forgotten how they got there.  So I write things like this to remind the future me and everyone else who forgets the beauty of waking up to one person who is so many things.

No comments: